European Voluntary Service - Cultural EVS Experience @ Innsbruck
Volunteering in an Open cultural platform
Participative & Creative // Culture Management & Cooperation
The staff members of “Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube” are looking for 1 EVS-volunteer who wants to support their team in cultural and artistic work starting in early September 2019 until end of August 2020, for 12 months. Apply for 1 year EVS project in Innsbruck, Austria!
Application deadline is 10th of April 2019!
Some info on the hosting organization:
• The “Bäckerei” (German word for bakery) is an old former bakery and had not been used for ten years, until 2010. A motivated bunch of people put life into the building. It has now become a successful platform for cultural exchange and social innovation in Innsbruck and should give the possibility to communicate and share different cultural themes, topics of interest, knowledge and know-how etc.
• There is no specific target group in “Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube”, we have a really wide range of activities suitable for a big spectrum of audience. For example, if someone wants to give weekly Yoga classes, music workshop, start regular start up meetings or wants to organize a concert, exhibition or any kind of different artistic expression., this is possible.
• Die Bäckerei is a place of experimenting, offering an easy-to-use frame to try out things in the location of 1000m2 space. It should not be seen just a venue to rent for events. The goal is to support people in putting their ideas into reality, arrange events and projects together & support the local entrepreneur scene, which is oriented in sustainable and creative social businesses.
• Moreover, the idea is to mix groups of interests and genres and different ages (also in double-events) to create a situation which is not very common but very interesting in the sense of communication, exchange and also networking.
• The aim is to get the people to participate and take part in events, workshops, concerts and projects, in order to spread the idea of open arts and culture as a powerful tool for change.
• Our wish for this project is that the volunteer is highly interested in culture management, creating new event formats and working with existing ones! The main topic for this year is social innovation. We have many ongoing projects in this topic and die Bäckerei Kulturbackstube is also facilitating several social innovation start ups. Next to that, we have an on going cultural program, which needs passionate and helping hands.
Die Bäckerei is looking for one EVS volunteer who lives in Europe and who is motivated to support their team in the field of open cultural and artistic work, with the focus on topics of arts and social innovation, for one year - starting in September 2019!
“Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube” is situated in the centre of Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol, with 130.000 inhabitants. Bäckerei is located within a 10 minutes walking distance from the main train station. The volunteer will live in the centre of the town, in a shared flat. Innsbruck has several cultural venues, libraries, galleries, historic monuments and numerous bars, outdoor and indoor recreational facilities and mountains all around. Furthermore Innsbruck is very close to Switzerland, Germany and Italy. The community around our centre is quite active and plays a main role in the cultural scene of the city. Most of the projects developed here are run by dedicated and highly motivated local people. This makes Die Bäckerei-Kulturbackstube the main venue in Innsbruck where cultural production and diversity is created by locals.
Verein G.u.G. / InfoEck – Jugendinfo Tirol, www.mei-infoeck.at, Innsbruck
InfoEck is a local and regional youth information centre in Innsbruck, Tirol. We coordinate this EVS project, which means that we support the hosting organisation by taking responsability for the administration and finances and for the quality support of this project.
InfoEck coordinates 14 volunteers in the region of Tirol. The responsible coordinator does NOT receive applications, but is ready to answer open questions and to prepare the EVS project with the host, the selected volunteer and the sending organisation! The coordinator is Erika: erika.mischitz[at]infoeck[dot]at (send your applications to Baiba (baiba[at]diebaeckerei[dot]at) , not to Erika!)
The EVS volunteer will be engaged in a variety of tasks and activities:
• Proactivity: The volunteers will be part of the team at Die Bäckerei – Kulturbackstube and will need to bring in pro-active energy and engagement – the volunteer needs to bring in own ideas and contribution, to fill his/her working time
• Learning about event management: The volunteer will have the chance to accompany our organizers through cultural events and learn from them (sound, light, communication, equipment…). The aim is to have smoothly running events as a result. We try to find a good solution for every specific event together in meetings with the organizers and we guide the volunteers through the preparation and the implementation of the event, e.g. advices in capacity, place, what to keep in mind, technique, how to organize the course of the event.
• Web content: You need to be interested in and would like to learn how to create web content (taking pictures and videos) for our social media and website
• Team / Office work: Developing ideas with the team – learning from staff members and bringing in own topics, learning how to implement an idea – active participation of the volunteers is welcome (especially in relation with social media and communication, but of course more!). You will work in a motivated, diverse team. You need to participate in regular team meetings and supervisions (weekly, or sometimes more often). Idea development is a huge part of Die Bäckerei cultural work. There are several brainstorm and project implementation meetings every week.
• Lunch: Possibility to cook once a week for all the involved members of „Die Bäckerei“ and for guests, as an intercultural and social act (this is up to the individual volunteer)
• Workshop project (optional): handcraft skills can be developed; any workshop ideas are welcome;
• Cultural management: You will be able to develop, organize and supervise cultural events -exhibitions, festivals, concerts, workshops...
• Maintenance of the venue: cleaning, repairing, helping…
Profile of the EVS volunteer.
We would be happy to host a volunteer who:
• Is between 18 and 30 years old
• Is open-minded, flexible, pro-active and communicative
• Is interested in learning about arts&culture and creating web content
• Brings in practical handcraft skills or is willing to learn
• Has an intermediate English level and is motivation to learn German
• Is willing to find out about his/her skills in cultural work
We ask for your understanding:
Only European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) residents may apply.
Due to project approval criteria, we can only accept volunteers in this placement who do not require a residence permit for 12 months in Austria.
We ask you for your understanding for this project - related necessity.
Application for the project:
more info: Opencall
Please send your CV and the enclosed APPLICATION FORM to the host organisation via e-mail! You can also send something creative to express your motivation additionally. Contact person is Baiba (baiba[at]diebaeckerei[dot]at).