European Voluntary Service - Cultural EVS Experience @ Innsbruck
Volunteering in an Open cultural platform
Participative & Creative // Culture Management & Cooperation
The staff members of “Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube” are looking for 1 EVS-volunteer who wants to support their team in cultural and artistic work starting in early September 2018 until end of August 2019, for 12 months. Apply for 1 year EVS project in Innsbruck, Austria!
Application deadline is 28th of March 2018!
Some info on the hosting organization:
The cultural platform “Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube” has been hosting EVS volunteers since 2012. This year we are hosting one volunteer starting September 2018.
The “Bäckerei” (German word for bakery) is an old former bakery, which was abandoned for 10 years, until 2010 a motivated bunch of people put life back into the building. It has now become an experimental platform for cultural exchange in Innsbruck and beyond. It has established wide cultural network and provides possibility to experiment, create and develop new ideas, events and projects. There is no specific target group in “Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube”, we have a wide range of activities for various interest groups. Partly our program and projects are developed by us, partly it is created by our audience. For example, if someone wants to give weekly Yoga classes or a workshop, or wants to organize a concert or an exhibition, this is possible.
Die Bäckerei is a place of experimenting, offering an easy-to-use frame to try out things in the location of 1000m2 space. It should not be just a venue to rent for events. The goal is to support people in putting their ideas into reality by guiding them through the process and arranging events together. Moreover the idea is to mix groups of interests, genres and different ages (also in double-events) to create a situation, which is not very common but very interesting in the sense of communication, exchange and also networking.
The aim is to get the people to participate and take part in events, workshops, concerts etc., in order to spread the idea of open arts and culture. In this year 2018 we are actively collaborating with various institutions in the city, in order to create new event concepts to raise awareness on important topics in society (like migration, politics, sustainable living, activating society, education etc.).
We are looking for one EVS volunteer who is motivated to support our organization in the field of open cultural and artistic work and is interested in social media and communication for one year, starting September 2018.
“Die Bäckerei - Kulturbackstube” is situated in the centre of Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol, with 130.000 inhabitants. Bäckerei is located within a 10 minutes walking distance from the main train station. The volunteer will live in the centre of the town, in a shared flat. Innsbruck has several cultural venues, libraries, galleries, historic monuments and numerous bars, outdoor and indoor recreational facilities and mountains all around. Furthermore Innsbruck is very close to Switzerland, Germany and Italy. The community around our centre is quite active and plays a main role in the cultural scene of the city. Most of the projects developed here are run by dedicated and highly motivated local people. This makes Die Bäckerei-Kulturbackstube the main venue in Innsbruck where cultural production and diversity is created by locals.
Verein G.u.G. / InfoEck – Jugendinfo Tirol, www.mei-infoeck.at, Innsbruck
InfoEck is a local and regional youth information centre in Innsbruck, Tirol. We coordinate this EVS project, which means that we support the hosting organisation by taking responsability for the administration and finances and for the quality support of this project.
InfoEck coordinates 14 volunteers in the region of Tirol. The responsible coordinator does NOT receive applications, but is ready to answer open questions and to prepare the EVS project with the host, the selected volunteer and the sending organisation! The coordinator is Erika: erika.mischitz[at]infoeck[dot]at (send your applications to Baiba (baiba[at]diebaeckerei[dot]at) , not to Erika!)
The EVS volunteer will be engaged in a variety of tasks and activities:
• Proactivity: The volunteers will be part of the team at Die Bäckerei – Kulturbackstube and will need to bring in pro-active energy and engagement – the volunteer needs to bring in own ideas and contribution, to fill his/her working time
• Learning about event management: The volunteer will have the chance to accompany our organizers through cultural events and learn from them (sound, light, communication, equipment…). The aim is to have smoothly running events as a result. We try to find a good solution for every specific event together in meetings with the organizers and we guide the volunteers through the preparation and the implementation of the event, e.g. advices in capacity, place, what to keep in mind, technique, how to organize the course of the event.
• Web content: You need to be interested in and would like to learn how to create web content (taking pictures and videos) for our social media and website
• Team / Office work: Developing ideas with the team – learning from staff members and bringing in own topics, learning how to implement an idea – active participation of the volunteers is welcome. We have numerous ongoing projects in our house, please have a look at our website. You will work in a motivated, diverse team. You need to participate in regular team meetings and supervisions (weekly, or sometimes more often)
• Lunch: Possibility to cook once a week for all the involved members of „Die Bäckerei“ and for guests, as an intercultural and social act (this is up to the individual volunteer)
• Workshop project (optional): handcraft skills can be developed; any workshop ideas are welcome;
• Cultural management: You will be able to develop, organize and supervise cultural events exhibitions, festivals, concerts, workshops...
• Maintenance of the venue: cleaning, repairing, helping…
Profile of the EVS volunteer.
We would be happy to host a volunteer who:
• Is between 18 and 30 years old
• Is open-minded, flexible, pro-active and communicative
• Is interested in learning about arts&culture and creating web content
• Brings in practical handcraft skills or is willing to learn
• Has an intermediate English level and is motivation to learn German
• Is willing to find out about his/her skills in cultural work
We ask for your understanding:
Only European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) residents may apply.
Due to project approval criteria, we can only accept volunteers in this placement who do not require a residence permit for 12 months in Austria.
We ask you for your understanding for this project - related necessity.
Application for the project:
more info: Opencall
Please send your CV and the enclosed APPLICATION FORM to the host organisation via e-mail! You can also send something creative to express your motivation additionally. Contact person is Baiba (baiba[at]diebaeckerei[dot]at).